Call Us Today – 770-213-5171

What Does Homeowners Insurance Not Cover?

Home » What Does Homeowners Insurance Not Cover?

October 25, 2022

Written by: admin

Homeowners insurance reimburses you if your home is vandalized, burglarized, or damaged. It can also serve as a form of liability protection in case someone gets injured on your property. However, with this comes limitations, and homeowners insurance policies typically exclude certain events from coverage. So what does homeowners insurance not cover? Continue reading to learn more. 

What Do Homeowners Policies Not Cover?

The types of damages a policy won’t cover are those that aren’t preventable by human measures or those that are the result of violence caused by large groups. These are officially known as acts of God (or Vis Major) and acts of war.

What Are Acts Of God?

In insurance terms, an act of God refers to damage caused by natural disasters such as hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, and earthquakes. Remember that certain homeowners insurance policies will offer coverage for specific disasters. For instance, some policies will provide coverage for high winds or thunderstorms, but a standard homeowners insurance policy doesn’t typically cover earthquakes, floods, and other similar natural disasters. As a result, it’s important to read through the details of a policy before signing up.

Not only will the company not reimburse you in cases of acts of God — you also won’t have any legal protection. If someone on your property experienced an injury because of its ruined condition, you wouldn’t have any liability protection, and you’ll have to pay legal fees out of your pocket.

What Are Acts Of War?

Acts of war refer to violence caused by groups, which can apply to civilians or, as the name suggests, the military during wartime. Riots, insurrections, and strikes all constitute acts of war.

What Else Does Homeowners Insurance Not Cover?

Aside from acts of war and acts of God, homeowners insurance also won’t cover damages resulting from negligence. Negligence applies when you don’t maintain your home or act quickly enough in the event of an insect infestation (e.g., termites).

What Can I Do?

You can get additional forms of insurance to get coverage beyond the limitations of your homeowner’s policy. For example, you can sign up for a flood insurance policy to go along with your homeowner’s insurance to stay financially secure in case of a flood. 

Similarly, you can get an umbrella insurance policy if you have high-value assets because others may see you as a lawsuit target. Umbrella policies extend beyond homeowners insurance liability protection limits.

An additional living expenses policy is another great option. If you have to leave your home due to damage, your policy can help pay for certain expenses, such as hotel bills, laundry, and food costs, when you’re out of your home.

Call Us for Your Homeowners Insurance Needs

Magnolia Insurance Agency is at your service. We’re here if you need a homeowners policy or want to take your coverage even further. You are our number one priority — get your coverage now before disaster strikes. Call us today at 770-213-517 or contact us online to learn more about your homeowner’s coverage!

Homeowners Insurance / By Magnolia Insurance Agency

Contact Us Today – 770-213-5171

Stephen Dufour
Owner, Magnolia Insurance Agency
Office: 770-213-5171
Fax: 770-338-6932

Complete the inquiry form below and a Magnolia Insurance Representative will contact you in a timely manner.

Thank you for your message. It has been sent.
There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again later.
Go to Top