Call Us Today – 770-213-5171

Who Should I List on My Car Insurance Policy?

Home » Who Should I List on My Car Insurance Policy?

June 30, 2022

Written by: admin

When you have car insurance, you may wonder who should I list on my car insurance policy? Sometimes, you will let another person temporarily borrow your car. This scenario doesn’t seem like a big deal, but it can be if that person wrecks your vehicle. When listing individuals on your insurance, you must be as transparent with your insurer as possible. Below are recommendations on who you need to list under the policy.

What Is the Best Approach?

Regardless of whether the person is related to you, disclosing who lives in your household is a good idea. If it’s determined that you intentionally withheld this information, you can be penalized.

No matter who it is — if they’re living with you, you need to include them. You should also include anyone uninsured driving your car under another policy.

What If Someone In My Household Has a Poor Driving Record?

Listing someone with a history of accidents and traffic violations will cause your rates to go up. But again, you have to inform your insurer that this person lives with you.

One option, however, is to list them as an excluded driver. This is a document they’ll need to sign that acknowledges that they are uninsured under your policy.

What If Someone Not Listed Needs to Borrow My Car?

Some car insurance policies automatically cover other drivers when driving your vehicle, known as “permissive use.” If the other driver has an accident, your car insurance will pay first, and their insurance will be secondary coverage.

Can I Let an Uninsured Driver Use My Vehicle?

Even if your policy has a permissive use clause, it’s still strongly encouraged that you contact your agent if you’re considering letting an uninsured driver borrow your vehicle. If that driver crashes, you may have to cover all damages.

I Have a Child With a Learner’s Permit. Should I List Them?

Policies differ when adding a child with a learner’s permit. Some require adding, while others only require listing teens who have gotten their driver’s license.

Get Your Car Insurance Coverage Today

At Magnolia Insurance Agency, we’ll ensure that no matter what happens on the road, you’ll get the coverage you need while keeping your premiums low. We’re not only looking out for you but also for the people closest to you. Call us at 770-213-5171 or contact us online to learn more about who you need to list on your car insurance policy!

Auto Insurance / By Magnolia Insurance Agency



Contact Us Today – 770-213-5171

Stephen Dufour
Owner, Magnolia Insurance Agency
Office: 770-213-5171
Fax: 770-338-6932

Complete the inquiry form below and a Magnolia Insurance Representative will contact you in a timely manner.

Thank you for your message. It has been sent.
There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again later.
Go to Top